Saturday, April 21, 2012

Yesterday was the 100th Anniversary of Fenway Park and I was lucky enough to be one of those in attendance.  For me, baseball has been a big part of my life.  I have attended thousands of games.  I have been to Spring Training several times.  I have traveled to other ballparks.  I have so many memories that revolve around baseball.  So to be at the 100th anniversary of Fenway, the home of my beloved (and sometimes infuriating) Boston Red Sox was incredible. 

Anyone who ever played for the Sox was invited back for this event.  And during the pre-game ceremony, they each walked onto the field.  Jim Rice, former left fielder, Hall of Famer and someone who I can actually claim as a friend, was the first former player to walk onto the field.  Others, such as Pumpsie Green, who finally broke the color barrier with the Sox; Pedor Martinez and Kevin Millar, who played a huge part in finally bringing the World Series trophy back to Boston in 2004; Nomar Garciaparra, Lou Merloni and Mo Vaughn, all of whom I saw grow from obscurity in the minor leagues to making their Fenway debuts; Johnny Pesky and Bobby Doerr, who played with Ted Williams and have been Red Sox icons for as long as I can remember.  There was just so much history of that field yesterday.  So many Sox Greats all in one place.  It was a true Dream Team!

And even though the Sox won their very first game at Fenway in 1912, beating the New York Highlanders (Yankeees) 7-6, it just wasn't to be yesterday as we lost to those same Yankees by a score of 6-2; but even the score couldn't take away from the excitement of the game and the excitement of 100 years of Fenway.

No comments:

Post a Comment