Thursday, November 17, 2011

Lead or Follow? Neither!

My mother used to tell us to be leaders, not followers. And I used to think that was really good advice, but I've come to realize that I am not a leader. But I'm also not a follower. I don't want to be either one. I am just me. I am who I am and I don't want people to follow me. I want them to walk beside me. I can look at all my true friends and see that each is unique and special in their own way and that is what makes us friends.

To be a leader, you need followers. Yes, there are leaders who do good things and their followers are the people who support them. But I think that in the world of friendships, there shouldn't be a leader and followers. The leader in a friendship is really just a bully and the followers are just hangers on. That's not real friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment